Friday, September 3, 2010

Pregnancy Don’ts for the non pregnant person…

Many times throughout my pregnancy I have felt the desire to write a book for people who are not pregnant about how to treat the pregnant lady. Instead I have decided to take today to blog about my frustrations with society. I would first like to state that my comments below are a result of me being amazed at the questions and comments directed at pregnant women. It seems as though our world is obsessed with weight! Whether it is due to being too thin or too fat, people are not allowed to just enjoy their life. Try to think, when was the last time you got on the scale and were completely happy with yourself? I think this dissatisfaction with ourselves is more of a problem than the growing obese population! I will also say that I am not exempt from this obsession or else I wouldn’t have made this my blog for today. Either way, here is my tongue-in-cheek attempt to better the world today:

1. During a healthy pregnancy women should gain 25-35lbs. Somewhere along the way we got another idea, that all pregnant women should look like runway models with a basketball in their stomach. Well not to surprise anyone but if you did not look like a 95lb runway model prior to pregnancy you will not look like one during pregnancy. You are going to gain weight! Society did you hear me? Are there things that pregnant women can do to keep from excess weight gain? Of course there are! I would ask though, do you feel like running a marathon, working out every day and eating a perfectly healthy meal each day as the non pregnant person? I doubt it! And if everyone else doesn't want to it might be even harder for a pregnant woman to be motivated to do this with her feet and back killing her.

2. All women grow babies differently. I know this may come to a surprise to many but some women are short, wide, skinny, tall, long torso, short torso and so on. This means our bodies will all grow differently with a baby inside them. Some women will be all baby, some will get big butts, some will have swollen faces, hands, feet, ankles you name it! If blood , fluid or fat goes to an area a pregnant women is screwed!

3. Never ask a woman how many babies are inside! If you ask this question you might was well grab a box of tissue because you will certainly upset the pregnant hormonal lady who just a few seconds ago was really enjoying her pregnancy. This question is in the same category as asking a woman who is not pregnant when she is due. Both should be avoided!

4. Last, and to sum up all my other points, remember that no one wants comments or advice about their weight! Just as you would not want someone to come up to you and tell you how big you're looking today, pregnant women don't want critiques or advice. Trust me, it will go in one ear and straight to where it hurts. A pregnant women is too nice to try to knock you out after your comment, instead she will hold it in and wait for privacy and probably cry her eyes out! Growing a baby is hard work, don't be the stranger who just made her day harder!

Wow I feel so much better now and I hope you were able to have a laugh with my frustrations about society! I am sure none of you that are reading this would ever do or say any of the things listed above, but I appreciate that you are all loving and supportive friends who help me through frustrating days like these!

2 comments:

  1. Well put, my friend. Pregnancy seems to be the only time that people, especially strangers, suddenly feel they are allowed to comment on looks. I've never understood. I don't see a pregnant person and feel the urge to say anything to them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! I would add another point to this list: It's not a competition! If we have a healthy baby, we all win! There's no trophy at the end - just a baby (and isn't that reward enough?). So no bonus points for looking a little less (or more) pregnant than others, or carrying high ( or low), or being less sick, more sick, less tired, more tired, etc.

    ReplyDelete